- Modern Cultural Conversations about Motherhood
- Mother Making: How First Time Mothers Develop a Parenting Practice in Contemporary America
- How to Make Motherhood Easier in America - Pacific Standard
New York: Ballantine. An anthropological book that contains many comparisons between humans and other primates.
Modern Cultural Conversations about Motherhood
The discussions of essentialist approaches to motherhood are framed historically and cross many disciplinary boundaries. Plant, R. Mom: The transformation of motherhood in modern America. Chicago: Univ. DOI: Plant includes important examples of the ways that ideologies and expectations of motherhood differed by race and class.
Could be read by graduate or undergraduate students. Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here. Not a member? Sign up for My OBO.
Mother Making: How First Time Mothers Develop a Parenting Practice in Contemporary America
Already a member? In Mom , Rebecca Jo Plant traces this important shift by exploring the evolution of maternalist politics, changing perceptions of the mother-child bond, and the rise of new approaches to childbirth pain and suffering. Plant argues that the assault on sentimental motherhood came from numerous quarters. Male critics who railed against female moral authority, psychological experts who hoped to expand their influence, and women who strove to be more than wives and mothers—all for their own distinct reasons—sought to discredit the longstanding maternal ideal.
- American Studies!
- SOFATOYE Years of Daily Discovery?
- Motherhood, Welfare and Social Policy in the Twentieth Century.
- Traders World Digest Issue #14;
By showing how motherhood ultimately came to be redefined as a more private and partial component of female identity, Plant illuminates a major reorientation in American civic, social, and familial life that still reverberates today. Table of Contents. Ellen Herman, University of Oregon.
John Burnham, Ohio State University. Regina Morantz-Sanchez, University of Michigan. Chicago Blog : Sociology. Events in Sociology.
How to Make Motherhood Easier in America - Pacific Standard
Sign Up. Save to Library. Create Alert.
- Nunns Applied Respiratory Physiology E-Book.
- 26 Card Tricks.
- Weight of Evidence!
- Wolves! An Educational Children’s eBook Studying The Wolf And Its Pack Plus Videos (Mammals, Foxes & Wolves)?
- We deserve better: American mothers have been neglected for way too long - Motherly.
- Making Sense of Mom: The Ideology of 20th Century American Maternalism – Tropics of Meta.
- Women Need To Connect.
Share This Paper. Tables from this paper. References Publications referenced by this paper. Annick D Westbrook.